Monday, January 12, 2015

Book Review


Blush: A Mennonite Girl Meets a Glittering World by Shirley Showalter 

On the rolling hills of South Eastern Pennsylvania, I grew up in a singular church group. Or so I thought until I read Blush over the new year holiday. In this frank memoir I found myself and the people of my childhood, with changed names and identifying circumstances. Somehow I clicked with Shirley, and she seemed to be my lost friend. With great literary talent she describes growing up Mennonite, remaining loyal yet truly objective.

One thought that impressed me is that restraint, so often thrown off by independent Americans, can actually build the character in us to withstand the temptations and trials that life brings our way. Reflecting on my own experience, I believe she has some wisdom to offer us. Pick up your own copy, and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment